What makes Carbon Monoxide scary to most is that it cannot be detected by sight, smell or taste. Carbon Monoxide poisoning can result in severe side effects and death. What is reassuring is that carbon monoxide alarms can easily be added to your home and help save lives. Here are some other tips in regards to carbon monoxide:
- Make sure you have a carbon monoxide alarm on every level of your home, especially near bedrooms. Also don’t forget to test them regularly.
- Don’t warm a vehicle in the garage…EVEN if you open the garage doors. ALWAYS remove it from the garage if the engine will be running.
- Make sure vents for the dryer, stove, fireplace, etc. are clear of snow and other types of debris.
- Never use a grill inside your home or garage or even near a window.
- Carbon monoxide detectors do NOT replace smoke alarm or vice-versa. However combination alarms are available.
- If your carbon monoxide alarm goes off, go outside immediately and wait for emergency personnel to arrive.